A wide spot in my imagination.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Reading Life

Our seven year-old is home sick today.

While I'm checking email in a chair in the corner, she's curled up with a book on the bed.

Just a moment ago, she turned to me with the sparkly glimmer of a new-found idea and said, "Daddy, you can hear this sentence. You can hear it in your head." Then she read the sentence to me: "Listen to the applause." She listened. I listened.

"Can't you just hear the clapping," she asked.

The book was alive, as only books can be.

Sometimes sick days are good days.

1 comment:

  1. Two quotes from Ursula K. LeGuin come to mind:
    “I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, she would grow up to be an eggplant.”
    and
    “As great scientists have said and as all children know, it is above all by the imagination that we achieve perception, and compassion, and hope.”

    ReplyDelete