A wide spot in my imagination.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Look for the Helpers, Part 2: Water (and More) in the Desert

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

Those are words from Mr. Rogers that I quoted in an earlier blog.

One of the Green Valley Samaritans -- a "helper" -- placing water jugs in the desert.

I spent the past few days taking part as a learner at the 17th Annual Santa Cruz Valley Border Fair and Common Ground on the Border in Sahuarita, Arizona.

The situation on the US/Mexico border is complicated, confusing, quickly changing, and to some people scary. And there are helpers.

Here’s a list of groups and organizations that I ran across at the border fair. They’re helpers. If you’re looking for a way to be involved with immigrant concerns, take a look at these groups. They would appreciate your time, your money, your support.

  • ·         The Good Shepherd United Church of Christ, Sahuarita, AZ, is deeply involved in providing welcoming, just compassion and action for migrants.
  • ·         Federazione delleChiese Evangeliche in Italia/Federation of Protestant Churches in Italy, based in Roma/Rome. Their project, Mediterranean Hope/Programma Rifugiati e Migranti is providing support from migrants from Africa and the Middle East who are seeking new lives in Italy. www.fcei.it
  • ·         Border Community Alliance in Tubac, AZ, offers cross border tours, internship programs, and cultural events to promote cross cultural learning and respect. www.bordercommunityalliance.org
  • ·         Green Valley Samaritans in Green Valley, AZ, work to provide food, water, blankets, healthcare, and respect to migrants in the Arizona desert.  www.gvs-samaritans.org
  • ·         Hope and Healing, based in Tucson, AZ, displays the artwork of young asylum seekers from Central and South America. www.ccs-soaz.org
  • ·         Cruzando Fronteras is a faith-based partnership that focuses on prayer, humanitarian advocacy, immigration reform, and church partnerships to generate relational actions on the border. revrodgerdeacon@gmail.com
  • ·         Humane Borders, based in Tucson, AZ, works to support humanitarian assistance and educational experiences to create justice and compassionate public policy. www.humaneborders.org
  • ·         No Mas Muertes/No More Deaths is Unitarian Universalist group, based in Tucson, that provides food, clothing, healthcare and other assistance to migrants in Mexico and the US.  www.nomoredeaths.org
  • ·         The Briggs Center for Faith and Action offers a legal aid clinic for refugees in the Washington, DC, area in need immigration assistance; ESL classes in Bethesda, MD, for people from around the world; support for the Santa Cruz Border Fair; and other work. (Truth-in-Advertising: I’m the Executive Director of this group and would greatly appreciate you support.)


These are some of the groups and people that are helping people in need along the US/Mexico border and around the world.

Looking for the helpers? They’re there.And they may be you.

1 comment:

  1. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like__Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete