A wide spot in my imagination.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Don’t get married. Just live together. (Part 5 of Five Modest Proposals for Post-Covid Churches)


This is the last of a five-part series of suggestions for churches after the Coronavirus pandemic.
  
Modest Proposal #5. Don’t get married. Just live together.

Pipe down, No-Sex-Before-Marriage and Family-Values crowd, this isn’t what you think. And besides, evangelicals crawling into bed (metaphorically!) with Donald Trump have pulled the rug out from under your bully pulpit. But that’s a different story.

This proposal is for churches, not couples or throuples or any other human configurations.

Proposal Number #5 is that churches should give up their individual buildings and share spaces.*

The church I serve has a fantastic building, situated on a lovely plot of ground. We could use more parking, but the building is pretty, spacious, and well-located. We are fortunate. It’s also expensive and time-consuming. We spend more on our church building, lawn, maintenance, repair, and cleaning than we do on any other thing. And honestly, we only use a very tiny portion of the space when you map out the time and rooms that we use each week.
.
Less than a half mile down the street from us are two similar congregations—an Episcopal church that has ample parking and spacious building and a Lutheran church with an intriguing, welcoming mid-century modern building. All three buildings were built in the mid-1900s. None of our congregations fill the buildings to capacity. All three churches spend a lot of time working with tenants and outside groups to fill the building and to pay for upkeep.

What if we shared space? We don’t have to merge into one congregation. We could just co-exist in one building. Why do we have three large, lovely rooms (our sanctuaries) that are used by our congregations for a combined total of about three hours per week, not to mention all the other rooms?

And beyond shared worship space, what if we shared copiers, wireless providers, electric bills, trash removal services? Do three churches need three dish washers, three HVAC units, three pipe organs?

“But what about…?” “And when would we…?” “And do you mean sell…?”

Yep, change. That’s what I’m proposing. It’s not easy.

This pandemic is inviting us to see the world in new ways, to seriously question our old ways, to eagerly explore new ways.

How will change when this pandemic is over? I don't know. But if we go back to normal, we’ve failed.


*An excellent example of shared religious space is the Tri-Faith Initiative in Omaha, Nebraska, where Jewish, Christian, and Muslim communities are co-habitating on a plot of land.

1 comment:

  1. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like__Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete