A wide spot in my imagination.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

30,000 sadnesses

The president's decision to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan saddens me.

I worry that he chose "political necessity" over hope for a new way of living in the world.

I worry about the long term stability of the Middle East and Central Asia.

I worry about the 30,000 soldiers and their families, their fears, the mental health, their lives.

I worry about strained Muslim-Christian-Jewish relations.

I worry about my children (9 and 7) who have never known their country of origin not to be at war.

I worry that many Americans care more about Tiger Woods possible extra-marital dalliances than they do the cause of peace.

2 comments:

  1. What a solemn and considered way to approach reaction to a weighty decision. And sadness for the Afghani people so affected by the disruption. At least I have a feeling this administration gave serious consideration to this action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am more-than-saddened by this decision. I am worried, sickened, angered, disappointed. Why is each successive generation unable to learn from its forebears?

    ReplyDelete